There are currently people on OSRS!

Go Back   2007HQ > Off-Topic > Debates

RSN: Memberr
Send a message via Skype™ to Member

What in the case of isis propaganda. Is that just freedom of speech too?

You do still have neo-nazi's in both Europe and the US and other groups like it. I'd see it as harmful if they expand, and without being able to say what they think they would have more trouble expanding/sustaining their groups.

this is just another case of banning something and it ends up doing shit fucking all
Users who liked this:

RSN: zitface

Originally Posted by Member View Post

You do still have neo-nazi's in both Europe and the US and other groups like it. I'd see it as harmful if they expand, and without being able to say what they think they would have more trouble expanding/sustaining their groups.
i think most neo-nazis dont deny the holocaust, considering theyre neo-nazis after all

wanting to commit another holocaust towards jews/gypsies/homosexuals and expanding their white supremacy rhetoric are the main reason why these groups exist

RSN: Seismos
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

Yes.

I think there can be reasonable limits on freedom of speech, such as this ban or rules against threats, jihadism and worst kinds of racism. So in those cases yes, though more like what you can say not what you can believe.
You're basically a monster and are tiptoeing around it. You. Hate. Freedom.
You just said "it's okay to oppress actions; not okay to oppress beliefs".

Meryn Trant: "You're an upjumped cutthroat. Nothing more."
Bronn: "That's exactly who I am. And you're a grob in fancy armor who's better at beating little girls than fighting men."

Last edited by Diggydug; 12-03-2016 at 01:12 AM.

RSN: Keijo

ISIS propaganda usually consists of threatening certain groups of people

i think it would fall under that.

RSN: Memberr
Send a message via Skype™ to Member

Originally Posted by Diggydug View Post
You're basically a monster and are tiptoeing around it. You. Hate. Freedom.
You just said "it's okay to oppress actions; not okay to oppress beliefs".
I understand that you can take my rhetoric too far. In Turkey all opposition to their president is now called terrorism, and thousands of people have been locked up because they thought differently than Erdogan.

But that doesn't mean that laws against holocaust denial, calls to violence, terrorist propaganda and racism will end up destroying free speech. If you believe that then you have little faith in the democracies and institutions in the western world. There is no slippery slope with those laws in a good functioning democracy.

Yes there is.

Meryn Trant: "You're an upjumped cutthroat. Nothing more."
Bronn: "That's exactly who I am. And you're a grob in fancy armor who's better at beating little girls than fighting men."

RSN: Seismos
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

There most certainly is a slippery slope. If you ban any kind of speech, that means it's considered fine to ban other types of speech.

Send a message via Skype™ to Angry Potato

honestly, I think that with freedom of speech there should come freedom of punching someone else in the face for their speech. :^)

Freedom of speech is a legal concept it just means that you can't be punished by the state for what you say. It's not a social concept and doesn't mean freedom from consequence. Getting fired from a job, getting verbally abused, losing friends, getting suspended from school, and god forbid, getting called a bully (poor whiny right wingers. ) isn't attacking anyone's freedom of speech. It doesn't mean I can't yell at you for being an asshole, just means the state can't.
I absolutely hate the way that freedom of speech is pitched these days, it belongs almost entirely to the right. If you use your freedom of speech to tell someone to fuck off after they say something bigoted they always have a whine and a cry and complain about "muh freedom". If it doesn't go both ways I want nothing to do with it. And if the *far* right have it their way. It won't. They just want to be able to spout whatever propaganda they want without any opposition.

EDIT: In Australia every time the far right have a rally or something and the left turn up to use their freedom of speech and use their right to peacefully gather they always whine and cry talking about how we're attacking their rights. And then they cancel on their own accord because they're outnumbered, and cry more about how we took their freedom of speech, not letting them turn up when no one said they couldn't, we just wanted to be just as loud and obnoxious as they have the right to be.
And then they fall silent when the government starts fining Union workers up to $10K for calling coworker's scabs. And they fall silent when the government takes away protesters rights. And they fall silent every time there's talk about banning setting alight their precious cloth.

Last edited by Angry Potato; 12-04-2016 at 07:20 AM.