There are currently people on OSRS!

Go Back   2007HQ > Off-Topic > Debates

Send a message via ICQ to Sen Send a message via AIM to Sen Send a message via MSN to Sen
Default Abortion debate v2

Ppl like posting on fresh threads for some reason (according to me) so this is another abortion debate thread.

My response:

Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Last resort should be having the baby and putting it in child care if you don't wish to nurture it like a normal mother should.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."

RSN: Oss Spy

Some people don't want to be parents and I think that it's better than the child to be born to a mother who doesn't want it.

Read my playthrough of OSRS right here!

Send a message via Skype™ to Skillum

My opinion in brief: It comes down to the personal wish of the woman above all, as it's their body. If you're anti-abortion then you are restricting the freedom of people to do as they please with their own body, which is wrong. If you're pro-abortion then you should not layout certain criteria that stops some women from giving birth if they wish to.

'Skillum' is my retired main account.
Prayer Pure Skiller Progress:
Users who liked this:

RSN: Seismos
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

I think it's wrong because, as I said in the last thread, you're killing a living human being usually just because you don't want to parent it. In which case there's a very nice solution called adoption.

Users who liked this:

Originally Posted by bman7 View Post
I think it's wrong because, as I said in the last thread, you're killing a living human being usually just because you don't want to parent it. In which case there's a very nice solution called adoption.
If the fetus is under 12 weeks old there is no way it is a living human, it's just a bunch of cells. So I see no reason to be against aborting that. The general maximum age of a fetus before it cannot be aborted is 24 weeks I think (at least in the UK)because before that age it is not considered (scientifically) properly developed. Now that is a little more debatable on whether that counts as a human life. But if the mother's life is potentially at risk from giving birth to this 24 week old fetus, is it really worth it?

RSN: Seismos
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

I didn't say anything about when the mother's life is at risk; I'm on the fence about that.

But how come it isn't considered human if it's less than 24 weeks old? Before that is it just some alien lifeform? If you go to a doctor will they tell you they don't know what it is?

Originally Posted by bman7 View Post
I didn't say anything about when the mother's life is at risk; I'm on the fence about that.

But how come it isn't considered human if it's less than 24 weeks old? Before that is it just some alien lifeform? If you go to a doctor will they tell you they don't know what it is?
Fair enough.

By definiton it is of course a human fetus. This does not mean it is necessarily a life. It is incapable of emotion, of thought or of any neural processes. It is basically null and void, it has the potential to be a life yes, but it is not one. Therefore, to abort fetuses under 24 weeks old is justified in that it is taking something that doesn't actually exist as a lifeform, to allow it to be born in circumstances that are not preferable to it or it's mother would be far more destructive than aborting it. Ultimately it all hinges on the circumstances of the mother, however.

RSN: Oss Spy

If it cannot think for itself, only has basic survival instincts, and cannot understand its own existence, then how can it be treated as on par with a human?

Read my playthrough of OSRS right here!

RSN: Threat

I'm on the fence about this. I personally think it should only be performed if the mother's life is at risk, but then someone always mentions rape and it's hard to debate against that. Otherwise it seems like a substitute for a responsible sex life, albeit even using caution mistakes can and do happen. What defines human life is unclear; I'm not sure there is a consensus in the science community, so trying to prove when human life begins is rather difficult. When someone has an abortion they're taking away everything that unborn person could have become and I hate thinking about that. It is true however that it's the woman's body so it makes sense that she should be in control. If I was a woman and had an abortion idk how I would be able to get passed that though. I would imagine it would be a
difficult thing to try and forget. Anyway like I said I generally feel like abortion should always be a last resort option and the woman should consider everything before making such a decision.

Last edited by Threat; 01-23-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Originally Posted by Threat View Post
When someone has an abortion they're taking away everything that unborn person could have become and I hate thinking about that.
In regards to this, it's the same principle regarding sperm. One tends not to avoid masturbation due to feeling guilty about killing sperm. These sperm all potentially have the potential to fertilise an egg and thus produce a life. The same principle applies, the fetus has the potential to become a life yes, but it is not far enough down the line yet - it just happens that it is further down the line than sperm, say. But you see, it has not crossed the line where it is worth being deemed as a human life. Particularly before 12 weeks, as this is a definite consensus within the scientific community, although many argue up to before 24 weeks.

Originally Posted by Threat View Post
Anyway like I said I generally feel like abortion should always be a last resort option and the woman should consider everything before making such a decision.
This is definitely something everyone should agree with. Contraception should be readily available and children should be taught during their pre-teen years the hazards of unprotected sex. At the end of the day however, if the woman is pregnant it is ultimately her body and thus her decision.

Users who liked this:

Tags
don't, if you don't, threads