There are currently people on OSRS!


Go Back   2007HQ > Off-Topic > Debates

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
bman7bman7 is offline
Moderator
 
bman7's Avatar
 
RSN: Seismos
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23,107
Likes: 2,392
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7
Default Is global warming real?

Or was the idea made up by people who were paid by General Electric to help sell their fluorescent lightbulbs and other 'green' products?



I think it isn't true. I'm pretty sure the 'warming' is just temporary, and part of a natural cycle caused by the sun, barely caused by anything we've done.

Here's a graph from multiple different sources, estimating what the temperature has been over the last 12,000 years:


And the same graph, but the last 1,000 years:


There's also been a recent discovery/study that shows that it was likely warmer in the time of ancient Rome than it is currently. I'll try to find it again if anyone's interested.


  Reply With Quote
ShoeShoe is offline
 
Shoe's Avatar
 
RSN: zitface
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 10,951
Likes: 2,126

Originally Posted by bman7 View Post
ry/study that shows that it was likely warmer in the time of ancient Rome than it is currently. I'll try to find it again if anyone's interested.
Compared to what other location?



Tbh, I think Global Warming is just a conspiracy made up the government to control the masses to hide a greater danger.



That danger is that the government and most governments all over the world are actually made up of crab people who have been living in the Earths' crust for thousands of years, and are trying to control the world through turning the citizens of the world against each other by making every hundred thousand or so people hate each other through the use of political parties and other governmental shenanigans.



 
Last edited by Shoe; 12-24-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Users who liked this:
bman7bman7 is offline
Moderator
 
bman7's Avatar
 
RSN: Seismos
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23,107
Likes: 2,392
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

Originally Posted by Showdown View Post
Compared to what other location?
I meant in the general time era of ancient Rome


  Reply With Quote
MenoMeno is offline
 
Meno's Avatar
 
RSN: Keijo
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: finland
Posts: 21,706
Likes: 3,012

Originally Posted by Showdown View Post
That danger is that the government and most governments all over the world are actually made up of crab people who have been living in the Earths' crust for thousands of years, and are trying to control the world through turning the citizens of the world against each other by making every hundred thousand or so people hate each other through the use of political parties and other governmental shenanigans.


interesting theory but i think its the aliens living in the underground tunnels


  Reply With Quote
Users who liked this:
AetiusAetius is offline
 
Aetius's Avatar
 
RSN: Oss Spy
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,408
Likes: 616

It's a fact.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/282-s...ology/59671821

The thread was created by a denier, then somebody with knowledge on the subject deconstructs his ideas.

Fact: CO2 is a greenhouse gas

Fact: Sunlight is absorbed by greenhouse gases

Fact: Humans have pumped CO2 into the atmosphere

And etc.



Read my playthrough of OSRS right here!
  Reply With Quote
Users who liked this:
ThreatThreat is offline
Moderator
 
Threat's Avatar
 
RSN: Threat
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,303
Likes: 1,128

From the arguments I have seen, I think it's real. The effect we as humans have on the Earth is staggering.


  Reply With Quote
NightingaelNightingael is offline
 
Nightingael's Avatar
 
RSN: Nighty
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9,355
Likes: 741

I think it's real

Besides, even if it isn't real, the human race is still severely f***ing the planet with pollution and artificial materials and everything else we do.
  Reply With Quote
Users who liked this:
bman7bman7 is offline
Moderator
 
bman7's Avatar
 
RSN: Seismos
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23,107
Likes: 2,392
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_data.svg.png

This is a graph of the estimated temperature, CO2 level, and dust concentration in Antarctica over the last 430,000 years. Now, I personally don't believe the Earth is that old, but for the sake of argument lets assume I think it is.
Now, if you look at the graph, you would think that at the very end of the temperature chart, it shows the temperature increase caused by us. However, that can't be the case. If you look at the scale, it says it's been thousands of years since it started. We only really started putting CO2 into the atmosphere in the 1800s, so it can't be possible that the warming 1000+ years ago was caused by us.
Measuring the size of the graph a bit more, I figured out that the difference between each 50,000 year mark is about 110 pixels, which means each pixel on the graph is about 454 years, which also means it has been about 11,363 years since the temperature started going up.

Now, the temperature naturally goes down too. Again by measuring the graph, the temperature in the middle three temperature increases 'peaked' (which I defined as the area where the temperature goes straight up and straight down ) for an average of 3,800 years. Now, if you don't count that amount of time, the cause of this warming would have been caused by people around the time of the early Sumerians.

And before you say that maybe this graph is fake, or scientists say that it's wrong, or I just found a random graph off Google and said it was true, search "Vostok Petit" on Google and you'll find many results of the same graph, and even some on Government sites.


  Reply With Quote
NationNation is offline
 
Nation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario, Can
Posts: 7,514
Likes: 999

I don't really see what you mean. Yes, we started pumping a significant amount of CO2 in the atmosphere around the 1800's, which is why there's been a significant climate change, and it's something we have to worry about or it will get worse.

Global warming is fact; indisputable. I'd say I'm surprised that people still deny global warming, but there are a lot of people who also deny evolution, so it's no big shock.
  Reply With Quote
ShoeShoe is offline
 
Shoe's Avatar
 
RSN: zitface
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 10,951
Likes: 2,126

Originally Posted by Showdown View Post
Compared to what other location?



Tbh, I think Global Warming is just a conspiracy made up the government to control the masses to hide a greater danger.



That danger is that the government and most governments all over the world are actually made up of crab people who have been living in the Earths' crust for thousands of years, and are trying to control the world through turning the citizens of the world against each other by making every hundred thousand or so people hate each other through the use of political parties and other governmental shenanigans.

i don't remember making this post



  Reply With Quote
Users who like this:
Reply

Tags
shows, sun, time


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.


RuneScape and Jagex are trademarks of Jagex Ltd 2000 - 2019.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 & DigitalOcean.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.7 Patch Level 1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.