There are currently people on OSRS!

Go Back   2007HQ > Off-Topic > Debates

RSN: Seismos
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

Originally Posted by Yellow Soda View Post
2 - Legalisation will force the price up.
That's the only good thing I see about legalizing it

RSN: Memberr
Send a message via Skype™ to Member

3 - It can be a gateway drug. The internets will not agree with this but I have experience with drug taking crowds and weed smokers are more likely to move onto cocaine etc than drinkers
Because you buy it from people who often also sell other drugs. If you'd buy it from a shop you'd be less likely to buy other drugs.

No.
1 - Weed smokers are wastemen, if people go to the effort of obtaining it then that's their choice but making it publicly available is going to result in a lot of people failing to reach their potential in life.
Marijuana usage

Holland (legal):

Lifetime: 29.2%
Last year: 10.6%
Last month: 6.8%

USA (illegal):

Lifetime: 41.9%
Last year: 14.9%
Last month: 8.7%

http://www.cedro-uva.org/lib/sandwijk.prvasd94.06.pdf
http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/201...11.htm#Tab1.1B

Amotivational syndrome
-0 studies throughout history proving that it exists

Intelligence
-majority of decent studies found no link between marijuana usage and long term intelligence loss
-intelligence decline is residual
-long term intelligence loss only attributed to people who smoke before age 18
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11949984

production cost of 1 pound of cannabis: ~20$
tax per pound (estimate): 400$-800$
average street price: $3000 to $6000/pound
http://money.howstuffworks.com/legal...-marijuana.htm
http://www.priceofweed.com/

3 - It can be a gateway drug. The internets will not agree with this but I have experience with drug taking crowds and weed smokers are more likely to move onto cocaine etc than drinkers
smoking marijuana is not the reason people move on to other more dangerous drugs. it is simply the first drug that people with a predisposition to use drugs use, because it is more easily accessed. aka it is not the cause

http://norml.org/news/2002/12/03/mar...us-drug-policy

people who used harmful drugs are much more likely to have started with alcohol than marijuana

http://news.ufl.edu/2012/07/10/alcohol-gateway/

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Users who liked this:

Originally Posted by bman7 View Post
That's the only good thing I see about legalizing it
Not if you smoke it

Originally Posted by Member View Post
Because you buy it from people who often also sell other drugs. If you'd buy it from a shop you'd be less likely to buy other drugs.
From what I've seen, people who consume alcohol occasionally buy weed as a naughty treat (risk involved).
If people regularly consumed weed, then the next step up for something a little different would be cocaine or perhaps another drug in the form of pills or acid.

[/QUOTE]

Katy Perry:

I'd like to point out that my views on legalisation are mainly for UK law, I have not been to the USA so cannot comment with insight upon your culture.

1- Your first point about prevalence, I'm trying to get my head around that but I'm thinking you're talking about how much they're used?

I've spoken with people in Holland, they had a different mentality to us Brits. I feel that, like with alcohol, we would abuse weed in the sense that our usage would be much higher and more frequent. That's just how our young people work at the moment.
Interestingly some I spoke to don't like the weed because it's so much stronger than the stuff we get on the street (I guess that could be an argument FOR legalisation, but I'm trying to account for the lower usage by the Dutch. Not a great point for my case).

Intelligence:

All of these studies always point to "long term" effects not being that bad.
I specifically pointed out that weed lowers potential in a person. The short term effects are certainly demotivational, I would strongly contest any studies that say otherwise. Of course it's possible to be push yourself after smoking but I fear that the majority of people are not of a strong enough character.

I also strongly distrust much of the evidence in most studies.
The people conducting these studies often have a point to prove: that weed is "good" or bad". Even respected sources such as government I remain skeptical of; who decided to start and fund these studies? Why? As equally as the tobacco industry can lobby against legalisation, pro-weed pressure groups can lobby for studies to support their case.
This might sound childish as a viewpoint, but you must understand the culture behind many research studies.

2 -

A fair point economically, depends partially upon taxation policy. According to your info I was wrong about that part, I've always been under the impression that the price would rise due to taxation and other costs. Price was not my primary argument in my defence.

3 -

I'd argue that that segment is bollocks. Saying that alcohol is more of a cause is almost irrelevant. Of course people are going to start on a legal drug first generally.

See my previous argument. People move on to weed as something a bit different from alcohol. This puts harder drugs 2 spaces away in the consumption chain. I fear legalisation of weed would bring that gap closer.

"Anecdotal illogical falacy"

Yes I'm aware that you can't just say "I know 8 people who smoked weed and it ruined their lives".

As a young person in the UK binge culture it is my belief that this kind of thing is hard to analyze. It's culturally damaging and using figures/statistical analysis doesn't really reflect what's actually going on.

Finally, my biggest fear is the impact upon peoples' lives that it will have. NOT medically. I could not care less if people took weed and somehow died. The real issue is the weed culture that would inevitably grip the young people in my country, leading to poor work rates in universities at a time when we need to be working the hardest to secure grad jobs etc.
This is why I have no objection to the odd bit of weed at the occasional party. Hell, I'm an occasional smoker myself and an ex-dealer too.
But super-easy access and regular consumption available for everyone? Hell no.

It's painfully obvious that health-wise alcohol is probably worse for you than weed, but I say (and I KNOW this because I have seen it) that weed gives a bad mentality for people which in my opinion is worse.

Use all the "facts" and figures that you want to support your case, there's likely ones out there I could throw together to support it being illegal. I cannot be bothered with it because I know what I am talking about with drug use.

/speech over

RSN: Nighty

I watched a documentary about a state that got marijuana legalized lately.

Said it boosted the addiction rates (among underage users) greatly.

Originally Posted by bman7 View Post
It shouldn't be legal, because drugs make you stupid

We don't need more stupid people
Weed doesn't make you stupid.

RSN: zitface

drugs are silly and for people who are too weak to control themselves :^)

No.

1 - Weed smokers are wastemen, if people go to the effort of obtaining it then that's their choice but making it publicly available is going to result in a lot of people failing to reach their potential in life.

1. That's just stereotypical though. There's no evidence supporting that marijuana makes you not reach your potential. It's a drug that relaxes you. If anything, many of the mental/physical disorders that are going on with a lot of people are more threatening to hurting your future than weed ever would be. Marijuana can help with these disorders, and it has.

2. It would most likely be around the price of cigarettes. I don't see how that's a bad thing for the US, by the way.

3. Nicotine is a gateway drug. It's actually a very bad one. Also, there's no evidence that marijuana is a gateway drug.

RSN: Keijo

i find it kind of obvious that a person who finds blazing weed kush 420xx dank 24-7 swag is more likely to do heavy drugs because they have already discovered how cool doing drugs is

Users who like this:

Tags
don't