There are currently people on OSRS!

Go Back   2007HQ > RuneScape 2007 > General Discussion

Default Yep. Still hate The Grand Exchange.

The thing over-automated the game and prevented productive (but likely introverted) players opportunities to interact with one another. Not saying I have a ton of time for games nowadays, or that gaming communities are full of the brightest... but I would go back for a while if they got rid of that abomination.

They. Just. Couldn't. Resist.

(Also, noteworthy the reception to this tweet: https://twitter.com/oldschoolrs/stat...844994?lang=en)

(In other news, this music station is really cool: https://somafm.com/spacestation)

Last edited by Mogex; 10-14-2019 at 12:30 AM.

RSN: Oss Spy

"For a while"

You and everyone else, while many others would stop because of the tedium. It isn't fun spamming for hours trying to sell your shit.

Read my playthrough of OSRS right here!

RSN: Seismos
Send a message via Skype™ to bman7

I can see why people liked it without the GE but I prefer having it myself

And pre-GE in OSRS was hardly 'old school trading', most people used Zybez which was basically the GE but 10x more annoying

@bman7 True. Screw logic! Sue Zybez an' shieet! But yeah, once that kind of thing took off, it does seem to have an element of inevitability.

One of the main things a game is meant to do in my opinion is mentally challenge of player, in that challenge and its finishing, the player derives pleasure. The element being taken away was searching for items. This involved plain-old looking for items, looking at guides on the internet, or trading. There was no be-all, end-all of item searching, which was a source of challenge, which can lead to players asking for advice, getting innovative... etc. All challenge related to this on 'normal'-scape went reductio-ad-GE. This is probably the most plausible argument the game developers could've given if they weren't looking to make things 'convenient', I think the only folks suffering from tedium were, as said, the sellers. Jagex really wanted to solve that I suppose, and didn't like having such tedium be part of the game, even if it did sacrifice challenge and community in other areas.

Another thing that works on this is ironman mode, although there is still no old-school trading, probably just a community of people giving each other advice, but all the old-school challenge is still there. I might try that mode one day.

RSN: Keijo

osrs community ruined the old school aspect of trading
true old school cant exist with modern era players and them making tools to shortcut as much effort as possible.

as much as i like/liked the idea of player to player trading it kinda sucked because it wasnt actually like it and it was basically just like GE except instead of full automation you just pmed someone.

it was still somewhat charming like that and i sold hundreds of thousands of runes from rcing etc but ehhh. i think i probably wasnt against GE. even though it kinda sucks how much easier it makes everything. the extra work you had to put on trading was honestly pretty fun. it was more rewarding to be rich back then.

i kinda wished some true old school forum marketplaces and stuff would get popular but they never did and it was just zybez.

Last edited by Meno; 10-25-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Originally Posted by Meno View Post
osrs community ruined the old school aspect of trading
true old school cant exist with modern era players and them making tools to shortcut as much effort as possible.

as much as i like/liked the idea of player to player trading it kinda sucked because it wasnt actually like it and it was basically just like GE except instead of full automation you just pmed someone.

it was still somewhat charming like that and i sold hundreds of thousands of runes from rcing etc but ehhh. i think i probably wasnt against GE. even though it kinda sucks how much easier it makes everything. the extra work you had to put on trading was honestly pretty fun. it was more rewarding to be rich back then.

i kinda wished some true old school forum marketplaces and stuff would get popular but they never did and it was just zybez.
Agree. Once community got used to it there was no going back generally.

I was a dumb kid (strategy wise) back then I would literally help someone power-woodcut by me going back and forth between the trees and general store and that way I would get gold. I even got excited over the gps that would spawn under varrock bank lmao

Now I can't hardly apply a smarter strategy to gp accumulation cause you might as well purchase a bond and sell it.